part of the MSc in E-learning at the University of Edinburgh

Archive for December, 2011

Lifestream Summary

My lifestream for EDC has ebbed and flowed sometimes gaining momentum as I find a topic that interests me and sometimes slowing to a trickle as I take time to catch breath and focus on a reading or merely deal will my real life stream of work and family tasks. I observe my digital activity [...]

Posted by Geraldine May Jones on December 11th, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (0) | Permalink

Lifestream Reflections – Week 10

My lifestream this week is in spate – relatively speaking! However I see it is a focussed jet rather than an indiscriminate spray. Of particular interest are the connections I have been able to make with sources I had bookmarked prior to the course, in some cases years prior. A case in point was Michael [...]

Posted by Geraldine May Jones on December 11th, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (1) | Permalink

Lifestream Reflections – Week 9

This week my lifestream seems a rather eclectic mix which crosses context boundaries and demonstrates changes in pace of engagement. I began with a mission to get a better feel of the ideas around the cyborg and the posthuman condition. I was interested by Hayles (2006) idea of the cognishere as “distributed cultural cognitions embodied [...]

Posted by Geraldine May Jones on December 11th, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (1) | Permalink

Lifestream Reflections Week 8

Drought has hit my life stream! For a number of reasons including wanting to take time out to read and hitting a really busy patch at work my life stream activity has dwindled. In a sense the source hopping, skim reading modes of thought associated with collecting for my life stream conflict with the frame [...]

Posted by Geraldine May Jones on December 10th, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (0) | Permalink

Lifestream Reflections – Week 4

There are still connections in this week’s lifestream with the dystopian/utopian theme exemplified by the juxtaposition of Future Shock which clearly shows that techno-paranoia is not a recent phenomena and Nancy Messieh blog post “How our online connectivity is making us better human beings” which adopts a comfortingly utopian view. I was pleased with the [...]

Posted by Geraldine May Jones on December 5th, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (0) | Permalink

Lifestream Reflections – Week 3

This week three distinct thought threads emerge in my life stream. Firstly there are still some thought echos around the week 1&2 readings. I particularly enjoyed Hand’s metaphorical language, I had actually thought about using some of his metaphors as possible starting points for the visual artefact. Hand’s dystopian view of our constant immersion in [...]

Posted by Geraldine May Jones on December 5th, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (0) | Permalink

Lifestream Reflections – Week 2 Memes and Streams

This weeks lifestream collection uses mainly diigo sources but includes a blog post and a single tweet. I’m clearly going to have to join in with the groups tweets a little more if I am going to fulfil my aim of being more active than in IDEL. The blog post picks up the distopia/utopia theme [...]

Posted by Geraldine May Jones on December 5th, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (0) | Permalink

Lifestream reflections – Week 1

Setting up my lifestream at the beginning of the course seemed to go pretty smoothly. I am a regular user of Diigo the social bookmarking tool, so that was my first choice for a stream to include. I like the richness of metadata that you can attach to a Diigo bookmark although I sometimes skimp [...]

Posted by Geraldine May Jones on December 5th, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (1) | Permalink